by Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Commentary of the Day - October 25, 2001: An IP Survey - Your Chance to tell the IP What You Think About American Higher Education.
An anonymous colleague from New Zealand -- yes, we have readers in New Zealand -- sent the IP a list of questions about American higher education in the form of a questionnaire. Rather than provide him with a totally biased response based on the IP's own prejudices, we have decided to seek help from our readers. Today's survey is limited to your opinion of colleges and universities and their leaders.
Please email us your responses so that we can tabulate them. Note that the names and email addresses of all respondents will be kept in strict confidence when we release the results. (To speed the process you might want to use the "copy" function of your browser to capture the questions. Or just refer to the questions by number.) Send your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Name four universities or colleges (in the US) to which you would love to send your children.
2. Name four universities or colleges (in the US) to which you would not even send your neighbor's dog.
3. Name up to four college or university presidents – past or present – under whom you would gladly serve as a faculty member, staff member, or administrator.
4. Name up to four college or university presidents – past or present – under whom you would never serve even if the only alternative was food stamps.
5. Who would you judge to be the most brilliant college or university president of them all, and your reason why.
6. And who would you judge to be the most outrageous or loathsome college or university president of them all, and your reason why.
© 2001 Dr. Mark H. Shapiro - All rights reserved.